Our oral health is one of the many things that we should always look after. This particular segment of our body can affect several body parts if left neglected. Dentists suggest that having knowledge about dental hygiene products will help us be more aware of keeping oral hygiene in check. Visit this online store to avail of hygiene products that you and your family can use.
Our oral health is one of the many things that we should always look after. This particular segment of our body can affect several body parts if left neglected. Dentists suggest that having knowledge about dental hygiene products will help us be more aware of keeping oral hygiene in check. Visit this online store to avail of hygiene products that you and your family can use. You can also go to Gordon Family Dental’s website today to make sure that your teeth is healthy and strong.
Dental Hygiene Products And Their Use
We were all taught since childhood that taking care of our teeth is as important as taking a bath. Children typically learn about tooth brushing as early as 2 years old to make sure that their teeth will grow in a healthy manner.
Let us figure out the importance of these hygiene products and why do we need to use them regularly:
- Toothpaste. Dentists suggest that we use kinds of toothpaste with fluoride. Fluoride can strengthen the enamel of the teeth and prevent tooth decay from happening. Certain kinds of toothpaste have properties that can help a sensitive as well as an infected tooth. It also provides a fresher breath and fights off tartar to prevent plaque build-up. For best results, ask your dentist which type of toothpaste suits you best.
- Toothbrush. Our oral hygiene products will not be complete without a toothbrush. This product usually comes in three different choices, soft, medium, and hard bristles. Some people prefer hard toothbrushes but it isn’t highly recommended by dentists due to its abrasiveness. Modern dentistry also offers electric toothbrushes that can clean your teeth without being too harsh. These hygiene products are specifically designed to help people who brush their teeth harshly.
- Dental sticks. Dental sticks are recommended for people who are not fond of using floss. This can be used to clean the spaces between the teeth and remove small particles that are not reached by a toothbrush. Be gentle on using these products and make sure to clean from the gum line upwards.
- Dental floss. Your dental care should include dental floss. This is an important oral hygiene product that is typically done after meals or tooth brushing. The main purpose of this product is to remove the left food particles between the teeth. If these particles are not removed, tartar will start to emerge and tooth decay might occur. Flossing twice a day is enough to keep your teeth clean and healthy.
- Oral irrigators. This oral hygiene product is designed to clean certain mouth areas through water pressure. It is a little dental appliance recommended especially for people wearing braces and are having a hard time reaching specific areas. Oral irrigators are additional hygiene products only and cannot be used as a replacement for toothbrushes.
- Whitening oral hygiene products. Teeth whiteners have become quite popular recently because more people are becoming conscious of the color of their teeth. While it may be true that teeth whitening products can reduce stains, professional whitening procedures are still more reliable.
- Mouthwash. Just like toothpaste, dentists advise mouthwashes that have fluoride. Nowadays, different kinds of mouthwash can provide solutions for different dental problems. Specific mouthwashes target bad breath and gum diseases so be sure to consult your doctor first if you have any oral issues.
- Tongue scrapers. Oral hygiene means cleaning the entirety of your mouth, and that includes the tongue. Scrapers have been invented to remove the bacteria in the tongue which are the common reason why bad breath occurs. However, toothbrushes can also do the job just fine.
Despite having complete dental hygiene products, it is still very important to visit your dentist regularly. You’ll never know when dental problems will arise and how it can eventually affect your teeth and gums. Regular visits to the dentist will protect you from periodontal disease and uncomfortable sensations caused by poor dental health. They can also give you recommendations as to what dental hygiene products are fitted for you.
Additional Tips To Keep Your Teeth Healthy
Maintaining the health of your teeth is a responsibility that you need to take seriously. Apart from proper oral hygiene you also need to consider other things that have a huge impact on your dental health. You can improve your oral hygiene routine by incorporating these few advice below:
- Avoid smoking. Smoking has a tendency to weaken the body’s ability to heal tissues. It is also one of the common causes of gum diseases, bad breath, and stains that are hard to remove.
- Slow down on bright colored foods. Fruits and vegetables with bright colors can leave stains on the teeth. Coffee, chocolate drinks, and soda can contribute to the stain as well.
- Go for water instead of sugary drinks. Water can wash away the food particles in your mouth, plus it promotes a healthier lifestyle. Definitely a win-win for you and your teeth.
- Avoid sweet foods and starches. Sugar can significantly damage your dental health as it encourages cavities. Experts suggest limiting sugar intake to 5% daily to reduce the risk of cavities. Foods with starch are also advised to a minimum because it can cause tooth decay. Some of the most common starchy foods include pasta, bread, and chips.
- Brush your teeth after meals. The best time to clean your teeth is after every meal, this is to ensure that the stains caused by the food are washed away and the food particles are removed immediately.
- Eat foods that can whiten your teeth. Some foods can harm your teeth while others can help you improve your oral hygiene. Examples of teeth whitening foods are strawberries, cheese, milk, and pineapple.
- Clean your oral hygiene kit regularly. the cup you use, your hygiene products storage, the cover of your toothbrush, and others need to be cleaned regularly to prevent germs from spreading in your dental hygiene products.
Overall, it is imperative for us to maintain our oral and dental health as it has been scientifically linked to our general health. Gum diseases, for example, have been widely associated with other health conditions like heart disease, stroke, diabetes, and premature labor.