Cosmetic dentistry specialises in all kinds of restorative techniques to improve the quality of your smile. One such method is called teeth reshaping. Teeth reshaping is a technique in dental contouring that deals with the restoration of the teeth with the help of dental burrs. People who prefer to undergo dental contouring usually suffer from crooked, chipped, or broken teeth
Cosmetic dentistry specialises in all kinds of restorative techniques to improve the quality of your smile. One such method is called teeth reshaping. Teeth reshaping is a technique in dental contouring that deals with the restoration of the teeth with the help of dental burrs. People who prefer to undergo dental contouring usually suffer from crooked, chipped, or broken teeth. The good thing about cosmetic dentistry is that it offers tons of benefits to improve the teeth’s appearance with high efficiency. If you want to learn more about the best cosmetic dentistry methods, you can click on this website and read more about the different types of cosmetic dental services. This article will outline the benefits of dental contouring and other types of cosmetic dentistry. Please read on to learn more.
What is Dental Contouring?
Dental contouring is the process of teeth reshaping by removing small dental enamel increments on your teeth to improve its overall shape and appearance. It is typically suggested by your dentist if you have chipped, broken, or cracked teeth. It is also an ideal method to restore your teeth from damages due to cavities and tooth decay. People who had accidents that affected their teeth can also take advantage of what dental contouring can do. Here’s a more detailed information about this procedure:
- Your dentist will conduct a physical examination of your teeth.
- Your dentist will suggest if sedation or mild anesthetics are required
- You’ll undergo dental x-ray so that your dentist can have a better view of your teeth’s health
- Your dentist will mark the area on your teeth with a particular marker to make sure of the right shape
- Teeth reshaping is performed
- Once the ideal body is achieved, smoothing and polishing follows
- Your teeth will be cleaned thoroughly
- In some cases, dental fillings are applied
- The dental fillings are mixed to match your natural teeth colour
Advantages of Dental Contouring
- The Perfect Smile: Dental contouring improves the quality of your smile dramatically. You can have the perfect smile that you always wanted in within less than an hour. Although teeth reshaping doesn’t improve the functionality of your teeth, it can still improve your bite.
- Quick and Painless: The entire procedure usually takes an hour or so, including the interview, x-rays, and other preliminary examinations. However, the teeth reshaping itself can be completed in less than thirty minutes. Depending on the number of teeth you want to work on, the procedure’s entirety is relatively quick.
- Inexpensive and Cost-Effective: The procedure is one of the least expensive in cosmetic dentistry. The fees and pricing are similar to teeth cleaning and fillings. It is also like hitting two birds with one stone. The steps involved in the process not only shape your teeth, but it also includes cleaning and polishing.
- Improves Your Confidence: The perfect smile can boost your confidence to a whole new level. You’ll never be shy to flash that ideal grin and capture the attention of many. Our teeth play a significant role in our overall confidence, so, with perfectly shaped and white teeth, you can flaunt it as your number one asset.
Disadvantages of Dental Contouring
- May Cause Teeth Sensitivity: The removal of small parts on the teeth’ surface may cause teeth sensitivity because the dental enamel gets reduced. Enamel protects our teeth from being over-sensitive to hot and cold drinks. With reduced enamel, there’s a risk of developing teeth sensitivity.
- May Not Be Covered by Dental Insurance: Since the teeth reshaping is actually under the category of cosmetic dentistry, it may not be covered by your insurance. However, if teeth reshaping is required to fix a broken tooth due to cavity or tooth decay, it can be covered.
Teeth Reshaping Aftercare Tips
The efficiency and longevity of dental contouring depend upon your approach. How you treat your teeth following the procedure determines how long they stay in your ideal shape. Remember that, after the reshaping, fillings may have been included to optimise the effects. Fillings are susceptible to breaking and chipping if used to bite or chew on hard food. Here are some tips on how to properly take care of your teeth after the teeth reshaping procedure:
- Regulate the consumption of hard or crunchy food or avoid eating them if you can. Hard or crunchy food may damage the filling or the shape of the teeth with an improper bite.
- Do not bite or gnaw your fingernails or other hard stuff even if you are stressed. If nail biting is a habit, try to learn how to control them by seeking professional help.
Another trick that you can try is to keep your oral health on tip-top condition. Here’s how:
- Brush your teeth at least two times a day for two minutes
- Make sure that the surface of the teeth is cleaned properly
- Use only a soft-bristled toothbrush
- Do not brush too hard because the fillings may get damaged (if fillings are applied)
- Use a small amount of toothpaste; a pea-sized amount should do the trick
- Clean your mouth with a dental cleaner to eliminate bacteria
- Floss gently at least once a day
- Rinse with a fluoride or antibacterial mouthwash
Getting your teeth done is an optional choice. The primary purpose of teeth reshaping and cosmetic dentistry is to improve the teeth’ overall appearance, not their functionality. However, some procedures are perfect for enhancing one’s bite, chewing, and jaw alignment. Braces or retainers, for example, corrects crooked teeth and jaw alignment. It improves digestion and speech. Another procedure is dental fillings. Dental fillings cover holes in the teeth and prevent tooth decay. All in all, cosmetic dentistry is one of the best ways to look good, and feel good about yourself.
As we mentioned earlier, great teeth can improve confidence. How you look at yourself plays a crucial role in your everyday life. You can socialise more and eliminate the feeling of being a “wallflower”. Some people are timid, affecting the way they live; especially the people with crooked or misaligned teeth. With the help of cosmetic dentistry, they can say goodbye to insecurity and say hello to the world bearing the perfect smile.